The GroundTruth Project is an award-winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists in the U.S. and around the world. Our mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting emerging journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world. Our team is headquartered at WGBH in Boston, the flagship PBS station.
Our journalists have produced award-winning, in-depth journalism on some of the world’s biggest stories including climate change, global migration and the effects of war on women and girls. We distribute our work with high-quality partners including FRONTLINE, The Atlantic, TIME, PRX, and USA Today. GroundTruth is also the home of Report for America, a national service program that places emerging journalists into local newsrooms to report on urgent under-covered issues and communities. We are seeking a Senior Editor to edit the work produced by our very talented GroundTruth reporting fellows and Report for America corps members. This position is full-time and can be performed remotely, reporting to the Chief Content Officer based in Washington, D.C.
The successful candidate will collaborate with the CEO/Editor-in-Chief and Chief Content Officer to lead GroundTruth’s coverage, editing content for the GroundTruth website and for distribution/co-publication to various editorial partners. Also, the Senior Editor will be working with the larger editorial team (digital editor, deputy digital editor, web producer, etc.) to develop and execute a content strategy for GroundTruth that includes expanding content and editorial partnerships as part of the scaling up of our Report for America (RFA) program.
- Guide and manage GroundTruth reporting fellows in accordance with GroundTruth’s quality standards and style guidelines, and similarly support RFA Corps Members, coordinating with RFA staff.
- Manage “On the Ground” dispatches from our RFA corps by designing and leading an editorial process in concert with our Deputy Digital Editor.
- Lead and coordinate a publication strategy for a rapidly growing number of Report for America corps members.
- Help facilitate and grow long-term editorial and academic partnerships.
- Help facilitate and grow relationships with GroundTruth’s current and prospective funders.
- Manage the application and submission process for annual editorial awards, with support from Program Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism or communications preferred
- 5-10 years of Editing experience
- High degree of detail orientation required
- Familiarity with various editing Software/tools required
- Knowledge of a second language is ideal but not required
Interviews may be conducted via video conferencing or in-person.
About The GroundTruth Project
Since its incorporation as an independent 501(c)3 organization in 2014, GroundTruth has built award-winning editorial teams to produce in-depth journalism that explores challenging global issues through local, on-the-ground reporting working in more than 50 countries. In 2018, GroundTruth launched Report for America, a new national service program that places talented emerging journalists into local newsrooms in under-covered communities across the United States. The RFA vision is to grow to 1,000 journalists by 2023.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.