Report for America is a national service program that places emerging journalists into local newsrooms to report on urgent under-covered issues and communities. It is an initiative of The GroundTruth Project, an award winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists.
Report for America is a dynamic, rapidly-growing answer to America’s crisis in local news reporting.
Report for America is a dynamic, rapidly-growing answer to America’s crisis in local news reporting. This year Report for America will expand from roughly 225 corps members to 300 as part of an ambitious plan to ensure that every American county has regular access to excellent local news. Our reporters and photojournalists work at newspapers large and small, public radio stations, TV stations, digital publications, wire services and investigative nonprofits. They will be in more than 200 newsrooms across 49 states, plus Puerto Rico, Guam and Washington, D.C.
We are seeking a Program Assistant to oversee the logistics of a key event at Report for America: the application process for newsrooms and corps members. This staffer will also manage databases, create reports, help field inquiries about the organization, assist with scheduling, assist in creating informational material and perform other duties as needed. This position is full-time and will be based in NYC (Bryant Park area), however, can be performed remotely until it is deemed safe to return to the office.
- Work with Admissions Director on the application process: keeping track of submissions, parsing out applications to judges, tracking activity and more.
- Manage an applications calendar including arranging hundreds of interviews over a period of a few months.
- Be the point of contact between our organization and people inquiring about it. To that end, be positive, responsive and a good communicator orally and in print.
- Create and maintain databases (judges, mentors, prospective corps members, etc.) and know how to merge databases and send mass mailings.
- Oversee firstname.lastname@example.org, our email address for inquiries.
- Perform other office tasks as needed.
- Supreme organizational skills
- Two or more years of experience in a similar role preferred
- Ability to manage an application process
- Ability to create and manage a calendar of scheduled interviews
- Experience creating, mining and merging databases
- Some experience planning events
- A sense of humor
About The GroundTruth Project
Our mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting the next generation of journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.
Interviews will be conducted via video conferencing.