The GroundTruth Project is an award-winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists in the U.S. and around the world. Our mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting emerging journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world. Our team is headquartered at WGBH in Boston, the flagship PBS station.
GroundTruth’s Development Team is hiring a brand-new role — Major Gifts Officer — as we enter an exciting phase of growth for the organization. This position is full-time, fully remote, and reports to the Vice President of Development and Communications.
- Create and support: Work closely with the VP of Development to execute on GroundTruth’s individual giving strategy, building and maintaining a strong and engaged portfolio of major donors;
- Cultivate and solicit: Leverage best practices in prospect research to identify new prospects;
- Research: update existing prospect information, and research and produce prospect memos that inform key leadership team members involved in fundraising of new opportunities;
- Stewardship and collaboration: Identify and implement strategies for keeping our current supporters engaged and apprised of the impact of GroundTruth’s work from all service programs, collaborating with the Manager of Impact and Evaluation for data needed;
- Operations: Maintain meticulous donor records, and in coordination with our wider Development and finance team, ensure we carefully track, acknowledge, and report gifts in a timely fashion;
- Support other development functions of a fast-growing team as needs emerge.
- 5-7 years of professional work experience in a frontline fundraising role for a nonprofit or social impact organization, directly interfacing with and engaging individual and family donors;
- A track record of building strong networks and relationships that lead to direct philanthropic support and ability/comfort to make mid-range gift asks;
- An ability to prep and coach executive leadership in best practices around donor cultivation and stewardship in coordination with the VP for Development;
- A deep passion for and understanding of our mission to restore local news nationally and globally, and an ability to become a strong spokesperson and advocate for that work;
- Demonstrated experience in donor prospect research and developing well-researched internal memos;
- Demonstrated experience in database management (Salesforce preferred) or content management systems;
- Excellent attention to detail, especially as it relates to handling sensitive information and tracking down data;
- An ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment;
- A customer service mindset that centers our donors as a critical part of our work;
- A sense of humor, creativity, flexibility and high standards in nonprofit excellence.
Interviews will be conducted via video conferencing or in-person.
About The GroundTruth Project
Since its incorporation as an independent 501(c)3 organization in 2014, GroundTruth has built award-winning editorial teams to produce in-depth journalism that explores challenging global issues through local, on-the-ground reporting working in more than 50 countries. In 2018, GroundTruth launched Report for America, a new national service program that places talented emerging journalists into local newsrooms in under-covered communities across the United States. The RFA vision is to grow to 1,000 journalists by 2024.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.