The GroundTruth Project, home to Report for America, is seeking a Deputy Digital Editor to join our team at our headquarters at WGBH, the flagship PBS station in Boston. We’re looking for someone with solid digital editing experience and a passion for journalism who is drawn to our mission to train the next generation of journalists in the U.S. and abroad. The ideal candidate is a thoughtful and detail-oriented editor who wants to cultivate and amplify the voices of emerging journalists, and a team player who also thrives in the spirited environment of a fast-growing startup news organization.
Working closely with GroundTruth editors and reporters, the Deputy Digital Editor will be responsible for helping edit a series of essays from Report for America corps members and supporting digital reporting projects related to our other coverage areas and programs. The Deputy Digital Editor will report to the Senior Editor.
- Work closely with the Senior Editor to assign and edit written and multimedia content by our network of corps members and fellows, especially the essay series from Report for America corps members called “On the Ground.”
- Collaborate with editorial team to edit newsletters and original content, and publish assets through our CMS, ensuring all editorial copy meets AP Style standards.
- Contribute to the shared editorial calendar, identifying coverage opportunities and developing the resources to carry them out.
- Engage with GroundTruth reporters in a rigorous editorial process as editor, mentor and coach.
- Work in tandem with editors and reporters to support production of additional media assets, including podcast and documentary films.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, and at least 2 years of digital editing experience.
- Ideal candidate is highly disciplined, self-motivated and flexible to the various pressures and changing priorities of any given project in a fast-paced environment — and has an interest in working with emerging journalists.
- Must be meticulous with editorial copy, able to multitask with a sharp eye for line and copy editing, and be familiar with AP Style.
- Employment eligibility to work with GroundTruth in the U.S. is required, and candidate must be able to work full business hours at either our office in Boston or Washington, D.C.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communications skills.
- Previous experience with WordPress and working in a CMS preferred.
- Audio experience is a plus.
Please note that these job descriptions are not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
About The GroundTruth Project
THE GROUNDTRUTH PROJECT is an award-winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists in the U.S. and around the world.
Our mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting the next generation of journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world.