Report for America is a national service program that places emerging journalists into local newsrooms to report on urgent under-covered issues and communities. It is an initiative of The GroundTruth Project, an award winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization dedicated to supporting the next generation of journalists.
Report for America is a dynamic, rapidly-growing answer to America’s crisis in local news reporting.
Report for America is a dynamic, rapidly-growing answer to America’s crisis in local news reporting. This year Report for America will expand from roughly 225 corps members to 300 as part of an ambitious plan to ensure that every American county has regular access to excellent local news. Our reporters and photojournalists work at newspapers large and small, public radio stations, TV stations, digital publications, wire services and investigative nonprofits. They will be in more than 200 newsrooms across 49 states, plus Puerto Rico, Guam and Washington, D.C.
We are seeking a Communications Assistant for the Report for America communications team. This is an entry-level position which will be responsible for identifying, tracking and sharing internally and externally, the stories that our corps members are doing for their host newsrooms; creating and preparing communications materials; and help research and coordinate speaking opportunities for RFA leadership. This position will report directly to the RFA Manager of Marketing and Public Relations, working closely with the broader GroundTruth/RFA communications team. This position is full-time and will be located in the NYC area.
This position would handle the mechanics of using media monitoring software and working directly with regional managers, newsroom partners and corps members to track stories (including managing the story database), follow up on a subset that have had impact, package up and feed this information to various constituencies for Report for America, including:
- Social media content
- Publicity and PR
Additionally, this position will:
- Publish a weekly newsletter
- Help ensure style and branding compliance
- Seek and support opportunities for RFA representation at conferences, panels, etc.
- Offer administrative support to the communications team, as needed
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent combination of coursework/experience) in communications, marketing or related field.
- Requires strong writing skills, hyper-organization and a facility for communicating across roles and teams.
- Familiarity with MailChimp, Cision, Adobe Creative Suite ideal.
- An ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- A problem-solving mindset and passion for building things from the ground up.
- A sense of humor, creativity, flexibility and high standards in nonprofit excellence.
- This person will be required to communicate with all levels within the organization.
About The GroundTruth Project
Our mission is to restore journalism from the ground up by supporting the next generation of journalists through field reporting that serves under-covered corners of the United States and the world.
The GroundTruth Project is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected status.
Interviews will be conducted via video conferencing.