Leaders in Poland have singled out the LGBT community as the biggest threat to their goal of “restoring Polish dignity.” With a relentless campaign branding them as a “plague,” the populist government has divided the country, deepening divisions along generational, social and income lines, which threaten to grow, as other minorities become targets.
GroundTruth Fellow Una Hajdari was present at pro-LGBT protests in Warsaw and chronicled how they were immediately followed by a crew of people cleaning the streets to “disinfect” them from their presence. Hajdari also spoke with government officials on both sides to capture how the campaign against LGBT people is waged on the halls of power and how it translates into deeper divisions across the country.
Follow the entire series
- Episode 1: Weaponize Fear – Brazil
- Episode 2: Target Outsiders – Italy (Coming November 14)
- Episode 3: Undermine Institutions – Colombia (Coming November 28)
- Episode 4: Exploit Religion – India (Coming in December)
- Episode 5: Rewrite History – Hungary (Coming in December)
- Episode 6: Divide and Conquer – Poland (Coming in December)
- Episode 7: Erode Truth – United States (Coming in December)